Obtenir une Soubscription pour cacher toutes les annonces
23.07.2021 - 22:08
Can Turkey join the EU, if its considered european?
----
RP is terrible, but NWE is the worst of all
Chargement...
Chargement...
23.07.2021 - 23:03
No

1) Turkey is a country that does not have any cultural/religious ties to any other nation within the EU. There are no predominant Muslim countries within the EU. I know that the EU is technically secular but I think it would create more problems than it would solve by involving turkey.

2) Erdogan's political views and his presidency overall is antithetical to a (at least on the surface level) secular and socially left-wing EU. One of the things that comes to mind when I think of this is how the kurds have been treated, as well as Turkey's inability to recognize it's role in the Armenian genocide.

3). Turkey's economy is not very strong and will more than likely be a liability on the more economically sound EU nations.

4) Turkey is barely in Europe lol
Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 02:09
Turkey and Russia will never become part of Eu. Even if they become LGBT paradise full "democratic" countries. The main thing is TR and Russia still have imperial legacy and culture. You cant rule those countries from Brussels like Germ/France do to rest of Europe. UK is example of this.
Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 02:19
WTF NO.

I think that the case of Turkey is different with Russia since this country, although it has its most important city economically, culturally, historically and demographically, being not only the most populated city in Turkey but also the one in all of Europe (although it is not 100% European) is not enough to be called "European" and more because it does not share many things with the rest of Europe, but it seems that relations between the EU and Turkey have cooled a bit as an example: tensions and bad relations that it has with Greece, its participation in the Syrian civil war, its rapprochement with Russia, in addition to being a Muslim country, which for 3 countries that are not very relevant in this regard, I do not think that many countries like to have a Muslim country in their alliance, and all the social and economic problems that Turkey also faces further from joining the EU and considering itself a European country.
Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 06:57
Ecrit par Fatcheek, 23.07.2021 at 22:08

Technically it can, but it won't for various reasons:

Muslim country, too big both in area and population (I remember some Brussels politican saying, well EU can't border Iraq and Iran and he is right), relatively not white, etc.

Now for those saying it's too poor, not secular, bla bla bs, clearly don't remember/ignore how former communist countries got pushed into EU

To be clear, I don't think there's some happiness for the Turkey if it joined the EU, there's no fortune in some Brussels aparatchik deciding how many eggs can be produced in Urfa province
----
No such thing as a good girl, you are just not the right guy.

Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 07:51
I'd sooner have Canada and Kazakhstan in the EU than Turkey.
----
Someone Better Than You
Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 12:33
europe: u islamic arap
middle east: u secular european quffar
turkey: bruh
----

Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 15:14
As far as continental Europe goes I thought it was Iceland to Thrace, to Cacauses then to Urals. But in terms of culturally? Well if you include what is left of any Greek heritage then sure bug purely Turkish? Then no.
----
Lest we forget
Moja Bosna Ponosna
Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 15:16
No, neither is Russia or Israel...and Georgia, Az,Armen, Kazah
Russia and Turkey do have European lands of course. But only from Aggressive behavior.
----
*War in Europe again isn't good for anyone... that's why the EU is an Absolute! Long Live The Forth Realm! Long Live Europe!*
Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 20:56
Ecrit par DeepFriedUnicorn, 24.07.2021 at 15:16

Russia and Turkey do have European lands of course. But only from Aggressive behavior.

Russia definitely is?

I think you have it flipped, Russia only has Asian lands due to aggressive behavior. Russia originated West of the Ural mountains, which is in Europe lol. Also like 70% or more of Russia's population and industry is in the European side of the country
Chargement...
Chargement...
24.07.2021 - 23:34
Ecrit par Valetorious, 24.07.2021 at 20:56

Russia definitely is?

I think you have it flipped, Russia only has Asian lands due to aggressive behavior. Russia originated West of the Ural mountains, which is in Europe lol. Also like 70% or more of Russia's population and industry is in the European side of the country

In my opinion. The way Russia has been acting Geopolitically recently. they're an Asian Aggressor
----
*War in Europe again isn't good for anyone... that's why the EU is an Absolute! Long Live The Forth Realm! Long Live Europe!*
Chargement...
Chargement...
25.07.2021 - 01:11
Very interesting topic actually, I would like to answer to almost all posts here:

Ecrit par Valetorious, 23.07.2021 at 23:03

1) Turkey is a country that does not have any cultural/religious ties to any other nation within the EU. There are no predominant Muslim countries within the EU. I know that the EU is technically secular but I think it would create more problems than it would solve by involving turkey.

44 million Muslims live in Europe as full citizens, not calculating workers without citizenship. Countries like Bulgaria, France and Sweden already have big muslim population and they are EU members. Bosnia has a predominant muslim population, is a candidate and in Europe.
I do not see how involving Turkey would hurt EU. EU needs Turkey, and Turkey needs EU. For the future, EU can't rely on any of its allies, nor form new alliances. Everyone watches their own interests, EU must do aswell. EU can help Turkey secure its dominant position in Islam world, while Turkish big military, population and overall economy will give EU the drive lost after BREXIT.

2) Erdogan's political views and his presidency overall is antithetical to a (at least on the surface level) secular and socially left-wing EU. One of the things that comes to mind when I think of this is how the kurds have been treated, as well as Turkey's inability to recognize its role in the Armenian genocide.

Well, question is 'Can Turkey join EU and it Turkey European', not 'Can Turkey under Erdogan join EU'. I will just remind you all the the wave of these right-wing populists is all across the world, in EU aswell. Hungarian, Polish and Slovenian government are all right-wing populist governments. Modern Turkey since Ataturk is more European than Asian nation, and I do not see a problem in Turkey joining EU under right government which would follow Ataturk's agenda.

3). Turkey's economy is not very strong and will more than likely be a liability on the more economically sound EU nations.

Turkey's market is huge, it would give European companies a whole new cake, Turkish economy would become the engine of European development. Turkey's debt is around 36% of its GDP. I do not see the economical side of issue for Turkey to join EU.
Now, few exampled of current EU members situations before joining EU:
Slovakia - poor, developing, postcommunist country before joining EU - now ranked as the fastest-growing developed economy in the world in 2019.
Romania - they did not even have cleaning chemicals in the markets or any other 'luxury' (they would spend their whole wages in Tito's Yugoslavia for household necessities, they didn't have them in Romania) - now a high-income mixed economy with a very high Human Development Index and a skilled labour force, ranked 12th in the European Union by total nominal GDP and 7th largest when adjusted by purchasing power parity.
Bulgaria and many more, similiar or worse than these 2 examples...

4) Turkey is barely in Europe lol

European part of Turkey is bigger than a lot of Europeaan countries

Ecrit par Your Monkey, 24.07.2021 at 02:09

Turkey and Russia will never become part of Eu. Even if they become LGBT paradise full "democratic" countries. The main thing is TR and Russia still have imperial legacy and culture. You cant rule those countries from Brussels like Germ/France do to rest of Europe. UK is example of this.

I will skip Russian part of the post, this is topic about Turkey.
A lot of EU countries are not LGBT paradises either (Hungary, Poland). Abortion is almost compltely illegal in Poland. There is no country in Europe, from smallest to the largest ones, that has no imperial legacy and culture - I can not see that as a special case here. Nothing is ruled from Brussels, whoever has the most influence in EU decides the major moves. Germany and France did most of the time, but not always. I do not see Turkey actually having enough influence in EU to overthrow any Western EU country in this, and I do not see the reason to.

Ecrit par Zephyrusu, 24.07.2021 at 07:51

I'd sooner have Canada and Kazakhstan in the EU than Turkey.

Canada?

Ecrit par 31TENGRI69, 24.07.2021 at 12:33

europe: u islamic arap
middle east: u secular european quffar
turkey: bruh

This is so true hahahahah.

Ecrit par Augustus Caesar, 24.07.2021 at 15:14

As far as continental Europe goes I thought it was Iceland to Thrace, to Cacauses then to Urals. But in terms of culturally? Well if you include what is left of any Greek heritage then sure bug purely Turkish? Then no.

Modern Turkey is culturally European. Turks influenced European history, became part of it.

Most of the countries have their lands from 'Aggressive behavior' xD

On the sidenote:
EU needs to be more solid than ever, for the sake of the Old Continent and all Europeans. We can't and must not rely on anyone, even if it means making EU military.
----

Chargement...
Chargement...
25.07.2021 - 03:00
Ecrit par DeepFriedUnicorn, 24.07.2021 at 23:34

In my opinion. The way Russia has been acting Geopolitically recently. they're an Asian Aggressor

West gave promise to Russia after fall of USSR to not expand towards Baltics and Ukraine. We see how they honored this promise.

Do you also say Hungarians, Bulgarians, Finns only have lands in Europe cuz they conquered/migrated to those areas? or does this logic only applies to those countries cuz they are constantly demonized by western media? Also its funny to say Russians have lands in Europe only due to their "aggressive behavior" when we know that Germans/Hitler had plan to colonize Russia.
Chargement...
Chargement...
25.07.2021 - 03:21
Ecrit par Your Monkey, 25.07.2021 at 03:00

Ecrit par DeepFriedUnicorn, 24.07.2021 at 23:34

West gave promise to Russia after fall of USSR to not expand towards Baltics and Ukraine. We see how they honored this promise.

West gave promise to Ukraine in 1994. If they give back nukes to Russia they will protect them. USA and Germany stabbed Ukraine in the back just recently with nordstream 2.

Georgia bought Israeli drones and Iran bought Russian AA SAM, what happened ? Russia and Israel exchanged codes and sold out their "friends" and buyers.

How many promises were given to Ottomans/Turkey in period of 1900-1925 and how many were respected ?

Only fools would trust politicians especially democratically elected ones. Because they may not be there next year, we have seen how Trump pissed on american foreign relations. How Biden is making Saigon 2.0 in Afghanistan and how Talibans are winning, etc.
----

Chargement...
Chargement...
25.07.2021 - 09:20
Ecrit par Your Monkey, 25.07.2021 at 03:00

In my opinion. The Russian Federation is like an Asian Aggressor. They took Crimea, they like cuddling to the CCP and enjoy checking up on N.K. They have Polish and Finnish lands.

In my, personal, opinion. They have lost their "European persona" or some shit, just like Turkey, Az, Armenian, Israel and Kazah gained it over the decades.
----
Chargement...
Chargement...
25.07.2021 - 13:03
Ecrit par Your Monkey, 24.07.2021 at 02:09

Russia is considered apart of Europe, so why not Turkey?
----
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 07:22
Ecrit par Fatcheek, 25.07.2021 at 13:03

Russia is culturally European, Turkey isn't

Ecrit par DeepFriedUnicorn, 25.07.2021 at 09:20

In my opinion. The Russian Federation is like an Asian Aggressor. They took Crimea, they like cuddling to the CCP and enjoy checking up on N.K. They have Polish and Finnish lands.

In my, personal, opinion. They have lost their "European persona" or some shit, just like Turkey, Az, Armenian, Israel and Kazah gained it over the decades.

Bruh you are saying Russia is not European because they are expansionist and have Asian allies, was Nazi Germany not European either?
----
Someone Better Than You
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 10:04
Ecrit par Zephyrusu, 26.07.2021 at 07:22

Not to mention that a large chunk of Russia is geographically located in Europe whereas the only part of Turkey that is in Europe would be Thrace(though im aware the border of europe changes depending on who you ask)
----
Lest we forget
Moja Bosna Ponosna
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 12:29
Ecrit par Augustus Caesar, 26.07.2021 at 10:04

Not to mention that a large chunk of Russia is geographically located in Europe whereas the only part of Turkey that is in Europe would be Thrace(though im aware the border of europe changes depending on who you ask)

Most of Russia is in Asia
----
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 15:07
Ecrit par DeepFriedUnicorn, 26.07.2021 at 12:29

Most of population livesin European part, vast majority. Asian part is mostly unhabitable.
Norway claims the huge portion of Antartctica, it's still European country
----

Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 18:18

Ecrit par Fatcheek, 25.07.2021 at 13:03

Russia is culturally European, Turkey isn't

Ecrit par DeepFriedUnicorn, 25.07.2021 at 09:20

Bruh you are saying Russia is not European because they are expansionist and have Asian allies, was Nazi Germany not European either?

If Turkish culture is not considered as "European" then Greek culture should not be European too, if we consider the fact that how similar Turkish and Greek cultures are
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 18:30
Cyprus is not in Europe, but is part of European Union. Greeks are not European but part of European Union. D
----

Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 19:10
EU won't let Turkey join because Turkey is the Mexico of southeast Europe.

----
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 21:40
Ecrit par Fatcheek, 23.07.2021 at 22:08

You do know that turkey has been a candidate member state for the EU. So the answer to that is already yes.
However, since the EU has been living on an edge, and since the newly joined states didnt bode well into the EU, the european leaders would not let Turkey join the EU in the near future.
And since Erdogan knows this very well, he kinda gave an ultimatum to the EU, either let us in or we wont pursue membership anymore. He has every right to do that. Nobody likes to be baited.
Erdogan was very optimistic in his early presidency years about membership to the EU. He was very pro membership, however due to lack of EU acceptance and the way they treated turkey, erdogan rightfully flipped 180 degrees.
There are a few criteria if a country wants to join the EU, if turkey meets these criteria then it could join if there is also political will to it.
Turkish market is huge and has one of biggest potential in europe. Having turkey in EU would ease the brain drain from eastern europeans. The border for refugees wouldnt be in greece, it would be in eastern turkey. Turkish military is very advanced, see its drones in armenia-azerbaijan war.
But it also goes both ways, instead of asking why the EU members would want turkey in, you could also ask would the turks want to be in EU. Because they will have to abide to the customs and laws we have in EU. Look how troublesome hungary and poland are doing with EU laws, with turkey u would have even a bigger issue.
But i can see that in like 20-30 years a Turkey in EU would seem very plausible.
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 21:51

As much as 70 something percent is, that still leaves 30 odd percent being in Europe which being the largest country in the world that kind of percent is a large chunk. Learn your geography.
----
Lest we forget
Moja Bosna Ponosna
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 22:01
Ecrit par Augustus Caesar, 26.07.2021 at 21:51

As much as 70 something percent is, that still leaves 30 odd percent being in Europe which being the largest country in the world that kind of percent is a large chunk. Learn your geography.

Nah, they just an Asian Aggressor
----
Chargement...
Chargement...
26.07.2021 - 22:11
Ecrit par DeepFriedUnicorn, 26.07.2021 at 22:01

Nah, they just an Asian Aggressor

Right because their population demographics say that 80% are slavic.
----
Lest we forget
Moja Bosna Ponosna
Chargement...
Chargement...
27.07.2021 - 08:51
Ecrit par Metyu, 26.07.2021 at 18:18

If Turkish culture is not considered as "European" then Greek culture should not be European too, if we consider the fact that how similar Turkish and Greek cultures are

Turkish culture is closer to Iranian culture than Greek one
----
Someone Better Than You
Chargement...
Chargement...
27.07.2021 - 14:49
Ecrit par Zephyrusu, 27.07.2021 at 08:51

ever been to western turkish coast cities? or istanbul? And compared it to iranian cities.
For sure eastern turkey is culturally closer to iran, they are closer to each other.
But west turkey is closer to greece, has been like that forever.
Chargement...
Chargement...
27.07.2021 - 15:10
Ecrit par Zephyrusu, 27.07.2021 at 08:51

Have you been to Istanbul before? It's FAR more culturally close to Greece then to Iran. The same goes for a lot of Turkey. I'm pretty sure the only parts of Turkey that are more culturally close to Iran then to Greek are the Kurds.
----
Chargement...
Chargement...
atWar

About Us
Contact

Confidentialité | Conditions d'utilisations | Bannières | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Rejoignez-nous sur

Passez le mot